Why all this talk about caterpillars and butterflies? Because as humans we can relate! In order for change to occur, something dramatic needs to take place, but for many of us, we get stuck in the chrysalis stage and never break out of the safe environment of the cocoon to become the butterflies we are meant to be! There is a difference between you and the caterpillar; the caterpillar is alone, but you are not!
First, you must recognize that you are stuck, stuck in the comfort zone of the safe chrysalis, while it may be cramped, and slightly painful, perhaps even a little dark, it’s the only thing you know! But once you recognize that you’re stuck, a yearning inside you will ignite and you’ll want to get out but you won’t know how. You’ll begin to stand on the sidelines watching other butterflies, while you stay in the confines of your cocoon!
Transformation is a big step, it’s scary and can be overwhelming, however is it possible! As a certified coach and a recovering can’t-aholic, I am telling you with certainty that IT IS POSSIBLE! You just need to be willing to change, to step out of your comfort zone and break free!
I have watched many of my clients slowly transform their lives to become happier and more satisfied. The difference between people who transform and those who stay stuck is this: they see investing in themselves as valuable. They know that the time, effort and resources will yield an unending result.
Let’s look at 5 things you can do that will help you allow unimaginable positive change to come in to your life:
- You must believe that you are worth it. There are many competing priorities in life, kids, spouses, bosses, parents, extended family and so on. If each of them is valuable enough to give your time too, shouldn’t you be as well? If you’ve ever travelled by plane, before every flight there is a safety demonstration that goes over all of the necessary safety precautions. One of them is what to do if the air pressure changes and the oxygen masks fall. The instruction that flight attendants give, is that you must put your mask on first BEFORE you assist anyone else. Think about this, if you don’t have oxygen yourself, how are you going to help someone else with their mask? It’s the same in life, eventually you will run out of steam and you won’t be able to help anyone.
- You must be willing to get uncomfortable. Many of us want change, but we are not willing to get out of our comfort zone, we play the “what if” game until we have fully convinced ourselves that it’s just not worth the discomfort. None of us would be born if our mothers played the “what if” game! If you’re a mother, you know exactly what I mean; labour is no joke, even with the epidural. But look what the result is, a beautiful child that changes your life forever.
- Invest in a journal. Write down the vision for your life. Believe it or not, I’m not much of a writer. Quite honestly I don’t like to journal. When I was a young girl, about 13 or so, my father found my diary and read all my private and personal thoughts, I felt it to be such an invasion of my privacy and vowed never to write anything down after that. That being said, when I decided I needed to change my life and begin to live my purpose, I began to journal. When I look back at everything I have written about regarding my vision and plan, I have accomplished most of them. It’s a funny thing, even if you don’t look at it every day, what you write down resides in your subconscious and you unknowingly begin to move towards what you want. Imagine the impact, if you read it back to yourself everyday! I have a white board in my room, and I have written down everything that I want to manifest in 2018, and I am well on my way. I strongly encourage you to try it. Why? Because it works!
- Surround Yourself with Positive like-minded people. Develop a network of peers and mentors that have either accomplished what you want or are on a similar journey. Birds of a feather should flock together! This will continue to motivate you, especially through the challenging times.
- Get a Life Coach! You didn’t think I was going to leave that out did you? Just as coaches in the sporting world help athletes reach peak performance, a personal Coach can help you do the same. A coach is the non-judgemental sounding board, who will ask you the hard questions, challenge you on your status quo and be your accountability partner. They will keep you on track, help you work through your fears and partner with you to find happiness and success in the life you want.
It’s time to break out of your cocoon, spread your wings and become a butterfly!
It is my honour to serve you! God Bless!