In my transition from employee to entrepreneur, I faced a steep learning curve in all aspects. It required a massive mindset shift and an ability to embrace the uncertainty and being uncomfortable. You see I transitioned from a career that was very much results driven. I was a dental hygienist for 13 years. With each hourly appointment, I would see the immediate results of my work, and it wasn’t until I became an entrepreneur that I realized how driven I am by immediate results. As a business owner, there are many actions that I take on a daily basis that are about the long-term results. When I first started full-time as an entrepreneur I hadn’t quite integrated that idea into my psyche and because I wasn’t seeing an immediate return on my hours of work I would get confronted, discouraged and filled with self-doubt. Luckily, I have an amazing team around me that understood, encouraged and wouldn’t let me sit in my pity party for very long! What kept me moving forward was a commitment to my purpose, trust in the bigger vision, and honestly, a declaration that going back to the old career and way of being was NOT an option! It was only going to go one way! As I read more about successful entrepreneurs and I surrounded myself with people who were living the life I dream of, I started to see that there were common attributes and mindsets that led to their success. I saw what was missing with me and where I had to go to work in developing myself. Now, I am still training and developing myself inside of those gaps, however, I am beginning to see the results of my hard work. And it inspires me to continue to move forward as I now know that attaining the big vision is inevitable!
How did I shift my mindset from self-doubt to certainty? Here are a few key principles that I’ve discovered and now rely on:
- Successful entrepreneurs are those who are willing to be with no results longer than anyone else: Start to develop your ability to keep taking the actions you know to take despite not seeing immediate results.
- Have faith in your vision: Trust that your ideas are good and that you have the ability to make it happen.
- Surround yourself with the right people: These are the ones that believe in your vision and your ability to make it happen. Also, find people that have the level of success you are working towards and learn from them.
- Create a plan: I know it sounds simple, however when we are excited and inspired, planning is the thing that gets skipped the most. Why? Because most of us just want to jump into action. Sitting down and planning seems tedious and boring. Taking action is more exciting! Planning your actions, however, is key. That will ensure that all the actions are consistent with your vision. Without that plan, it’s easy to get distracted and start taking actions that don’t actually lead to the fulfillment of your goal.
- Work that plan: Take the actions that you’ve set out for yourself, and take time to regularly review your plan. As you take actions and things start to grow you may have to adjust the plan accordingly.
- Be Consistent: Consistency is key inside of building an empire! Take the actions you know to take everyday. Doing it sporadically will not build the networks nor the momentum your business requires.
- Accountability: Have someone hold you accountable to what you said you were going to do. Know that the more your business grows, the more you will have on your plate, the more important it is to have accountability structures in place.
- Do not let your feelings and emotions get in the way: It doesn’t actually matter how you feel in the moment. Elevated performance is dependent solely on ACTION. When you are feeling down and anxious don’t let those emotions stop you from taking the actions you know to take. If you do, that will lead to more self-doubt and anxiety. The only way through those feelings is to take an action. Go to that meeting, make that phone call, send those emails. Keep moving forward.
The next time you find yourself struggling with self-doubt, take a breath and remember success doesn’t happen over night. It takes time. Have patience. Be consistent and persistent. Keep moving forward, and embrace the discomfort of no results just a little bit longer!
Written By: Alanna Carr